dropbear in a specialized initramfs

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Apr 17 16:54:09 WST 2010

On Friday 16 April 2010 12:44:48 Christopher Barry wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> 	First day with dropbear, and first post to this list. I've looked
> around on the web, but felt someone here could probably point me to the
> data.
>
> I have an admittedly unusual need to make dropbear function in a
> specialized initramfs environment. I'm using a static busybox,
> additionally a static bash4, and now a static multi dropbear.
>
> This is not the real system, so I want to try to keep the size
> reasonable, but I cannot get in via ssh, and I'm sure there are a bunch
> of c libs that handle auth w/ /etc/passwd, /etc/group etc. required that
> I do not have in there. It basically has no concept of 'user' at this
> point.
>
> Does anyone know the minimal amount of stuff I need to make this work?
>

> Thanks for any bones you can throw my way.
>
> -C

My FWL build system builds dropbear binaries statically linked against uCLibc
for a bunch of different targets.  If you like, you can grab the binaries from:

  http;//impactlinux.com/fwl/downloads/binaries

(You can also download the system-image tarball for the appropriate target,
use the included scripts to boot them up under qemu, and build dropbear
yourself natively inside the emulator.)

Rob