Stand-alone 32 and 64 bit versions

Stuart Longland redhatter at gentoo.org
Tue Jan 4 05:50:55 WST 2011

I rarely use Windows (I emigrated from that world over to the Free/Libre
software world a long time ago, and only travel back occasionally on
business), so take what I say with a grain of salt. ;-)

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 10:26:11AM -0800, Zev Beckerman wrote:
> If I compiled dropbear (via cygwin) on windows 32 can it be run outside of
> cygwin as a standalone? What actions need to be completed to so this what users
> will be valid? Does the same hold true if I compile it on cygwin under a 64 bit
> machine?

My understanding is that anything compiled against Cygwin (i.e. links
against Cygwin's DLLs) will require amongst other things, that the
Cygwin DLLs are present with the application binary.

Cygwin's shell works by starting bash via a batch script.  I'd use that
as a starting point for your server start script.  If need be, modify it
to start a shell script which can mirror what a typical Dropbear init
script would do on Linux.

To be completely free of Cygwin, I'd consider mingw32 or Services for
Unix.  A caveat here though is that most clients will expect to find a
real Unix-like system at the other end of the SSH link.  Microsoft, for
better or worse decided to do things their own way when it came to
Windows, and hence any Unix-like environment idiosyncratic as a result.

I wish you luck, I find that platform from Redmond downright hostile
when it comes to porting software from a Unix environment.

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)      .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.