Connection to dropbear server disconnects with Bad Packet Length

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Fri May 13 08:31:59 WST 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 08:58:33AM -0700, Sam Gandhi wrote:
> I am running dropbear 0.53 on my server, when I connect to this
> machine, when my connection closes, due to inactivity, I see following
> message:
>
> Bad packet length 1128090262.
> Disconnecting: Packet corrupt

Hi,

Is the server running with -I for the idle timeout, or is
something else closing the connection? If it's the latter I
wonder if whatever is closing the connection is writing
some message to the socket which isn't valid traffic? It's
also possible there could be bugs in the -I code.

What does a tcpdump or wireshark capture look like? After
the first few packets there should be nothing intelligible
in the byte stream (it's all encrypted).