[solaris] library -lc: not found

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Nov 7 01:16:48 WST 2011

On 11/06/2011 01:20 AM, Matt Johnston wrote:
> I think you cannot build static programs on Solaris. From the
> cc manpage
>
>   Note: Many system libraries, such as libc, are only
>   available as dynamic libraries in the Solaris 64-bit
>   compilation environment. Therefore, do not use -Bstatic
>   as the last toggle on the command line.
>
> I guess it's similar to Linux except glibc will link then fail at runtime :)

It fails at build time on Linux in the toolchains I've tried.  Some
distros have the static libraries in a separate package.  This came up
with Wolfgang Denk tested my build system a couple years ago, and this
was one of the many, many ways the cross compiling part broke for him:

  http://landley.net/notes-2010.html#13-03-2010

Rob