dropbear still requires password when password is blank

Laurent Bercot ska-dietlibc at skarnet.org
Fri Apr 27 09:29:28 WST 2012

> It might seem that hitting "enter" at the password prompt isn't a big
> deal, and for interactive use, that's true.  The embedded system is
> set up with a blank password mainly during development and testing
> because it's a handy way to do automate testing using shell scripts
> running on the development host. The password prompt breaks that.

 I've always run automated stuff on embedded boxes via dropbear with
a little pubkey authentication; I store a public key in the embedded
firmware, and the testing process has the corresponding private key.
 This has the following additional advantage: if there's a massive
f*ckup and some development version goes into release, the box is still
not publicly accessible. ;)

--
 Laurent