Dropbear and PAM auth.

Avner Flesch avnerf at web-silicon.com
Sun Jun 3 19:53:35 WST 2012

Thanks Matt

What I am trying to do is tacacs+ authentication.
It should be supported by dropbear, because currently it is like normal user authentication, but instead
Of use "/etc/passwd" file it should authenticate it by TACACS+ server request.
I tested the dropbear PAM with regular "passwd" authentication and it did work.
But when I switched it to work with tacacs, it failed my username "authpriv.warn dropbear[949]: login attempt for nonexistent user from ::ffff:192.168.10.59:56356"
And when I open the trace I see "TRACE (951): leave checkusername: user 'avner' doesn't exist"
Indeed this user is not exist locally, only in the TACACS server, and it's looks like this rejection is dropbear internally, and not PAM.

Please advice

Thanks

Avner