Server refused to start a shell/command (Buildroot - RPi)

dropbear at procountsoftware.co.uk dropbear at procountsoftware.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 21:24:27 AWST 2015

I have a minimalistic buildroot system for the Raspberry Pi and would like
to add a dropbear ssh server to it that is started and is available from
boot, but for now I'm just trying to enable it manually and I'm having a
few problems.

I enabled dropbear within 'make menuconfig' and rebuilt buildroot. It
downloaded dropbear 2013.58 which I know is a little old, but it should
still work, right?
After booting my new system I didn't use S50dropbear itself but tried to do
things manually. I created /etc/dropbear and within there I created the
keys necessary for dropbear using:

dropbearkey -t rsa -f dropbear_rsa_host_key
dropbearkey -t dss -f dropbear_dss_host_key

Then I executed dropbear (no arguments) and I could see it in the process
list.

When I tried to connect to it from Putty, I got the following error:
"Server refused to allocate pty" which I discovered was possibly due to not
having a suitable mountpoint.
So I added the following entry to FSTAB (as per a google post I found):

     none            /dev/pts        devpts        gid=5,mode=620    0 0

Now the error has changed to "Server refused to start a shell/command" and
I haven't been able to find a solution. I can connect to the Pi using
WinSCP over SCP fine, but I really want a command shell using PuTTY.

This may be more to do with my minimalistic buildroot configuration than
anything else, but this is my first buildroot build so I'm a bit of a
newbie. My starting point was the buildroot configuration used to create
the RPi NOOBS recovery program.