ED25519 key support?

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Wed Jun 29 06:50:54 AWST 2016

On 26 Jun 2016 13:13, Stephen Kent wrote:
> 1) Feature parity with OpenSSH, which has supported ED25519 user and
> host keys since version 6.5.

even more importantly, recent openssh versions can be built w/out openssl
entirely.  this makes the result smaller and easier to reason about from
a security pov.  the downside is that only ED25519 is supported.

> 2) I'm not a security expert, but there's some discussion suggesting
> that ECDSA may be compromised or vulnerable to attack by the NSA. See
> this page and the linked pages:
> https://stribika.github.io/2015/01/04/secure-secure-shell.html
> It may be desirable for some people to allow the use of ED25519 keys
> instead.

much of the concern around ECC w/the NSA was centered on the specific
constants selected in the NIST recommendations.  and Dual_EC_DRBG
which everyone has dropped now.
-mike