Dropbear incompatible with current python Twisted

Michael Ducharme mducharme at gobcn.ca
Tue Jun 5 01:12:54 AWST 2018

I recently upgraded our Zenoss system to 6.1.2 which includes a newer
version of Twisted python framework. This new version of Twisted no longer
connects to dropbear on our Ubiquiti radios.

When Twisted tries to connect, the connection is lost while authenticating,
and dropbear logs the error:

Jun  4 10:29:02 dropbear[28183]: Child connection from 206.red.ac.ted:60338
Jun  4 10:29:04 dropbear[28183]: Exit before auth: Integrity error
Jun  4 10:29:07 dropbear[28195]: Child connection from 206.red.ac.ted:60342
Jun  4 10:29:09 dropbear[28195]: Exit before auth: Integrity error

I've been able to reproduce this issue with the latest release of twisted,
18.4.0, which I installed on another server by itself. This issue did not
happen on the 2 or 3 year old version of Zenoss we were upgrading from,
which presumably used an older version of Twisted.

I submitted a bug report with twisted (
https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/9464) but thought I would ask here on
the off chance that it is due to a dropbear bug.