SSH key exchange fails 30-70% of the time on Netgear X4S R7800

Horshack ‪‬ horshack at live.com
Sun Mar 29 04:06:12 AWST 2020

As a postscript, I was able to refine the logic to produce the corrupted result almost instantaneously. I'm also able to get it to fail with an all-zero input dataset and a bitwise OR operation instead of the original squaring multiplication operations, which allows me to see what actual corrupted loads are. The result is very interesting - sometimes the corrupted data is valid ARM instructions, other times valid kernel-space addresses, so it seems clear this is an addressing problem. Also interesting is how I'll see just one or a few corrupted words, which implies the corruption is in the interface between DCACHE and the processor rather than errant fetch of a line into DCACHE from memory (otherwise the entire DCACHE line would hold corrupt data). You can see a sample of the failure output here: https://github.com/horshack-dpreview/ipq8065-sqrbug/blob/master/SampleFailures.txt

Finally, to exclude any possibility the issue is related to possible kernel code running and corrupting register sets/memory (such as an interrupt routine), I ported the test to a kernel module and ran the logic within a local_irq_disable() block, which disables both preemption and interrupts on the core. Still fails. I created a separate repository for the kernel module version here: https://github.com/horshack-dpreview/ipq8065-sqrbug-driver