[Opendispense] UART 16550 code

Bernard Blackham bernard@blackham.com.au
Tue Aug 12 15:49:43 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:55:19PM +1000, David Basden wrote:
> As for simple code, try looking at Minix, which is designed to teach.
> Once you've done that, write your own because Minix tries to look like
> UNIX, and therefore all terminal handling is forever fucked in the head.

Danke! Well both the serial driver from Minix and linux-1.0 look
pretty simple and clean. Though the Minix driver doesn't support the
16550, only the 16450, which probably isn't a huge drawback. I'll
probably write code for a 16450 anyhow - it seems simpler, does the
speeds we need, and the 16550 (at least the one I have in mind)
enters 16450-compatible mode on reset.

I'll start writing my version some time tomorrow or Thursday. And
hopefully we'll have something resembling a ROM image ready to burn
before the weekend is over. =)

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham