[RadioTelescope] Stepping rates

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon Oct 11 21:09:06 WST 2010

Hi Andrew

Andrew Williams wrote:
> On 11/10/2010 6:20 PM, Harry McNally wrote:
>>
>> Why don't we digitise in both directions and use a wireless link to
>> the dish
>> electronics ? All we need then is a slip ring for the mains supply on the
>> azimuth and we can ignore azimuth limits.
>
> That's fine for the drive system, but there's also the actual receiver
> to worry about - at a minimum, that will be a single 50 ohm coax, more
> likely a coax pair, maybe more...

Ok. I was either being ambitious (put all the radio electronics out on the
dish) or you -could- buy a slip ring that includes coax connections. They are
available with many different options.

Have another look at that link again, it's mainly signal rather than power
connections including fibre.

It even lists radio telescopes here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_ring

Harry