[tech] IRC server and WAIX

Ben Rampling ben at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 11 08:24:21 WST 1999

> Hi,
>
> Now that we've got these cute WAIX only IP#s, why don't we move our ircd to a
> WAIX only IP number? If theres no objections, I'll do it.

I have objections that I've stated before when we've thought about it.

Firstly, we want to minimise changes to the server because they often require
intervention by Digger, who isn't really interested in spending time on the
network. In this case the ircd on the other end will need to be restarted,
because server address lookups never expire.

Leaving it as is won't make the servers availability subject to WAIX and UCS
changes, unless they decide to deny us a network connection completely. The
other problem is reverse lookups won't run on the number.

And finally, I don't see what it would actually gain us. I spent some serious
time coding to make it work this way, and one day there may be hosts that can
get to WAIX that couldn't get to an anonymous WAIX number. (I wouldn't be
surprised if there was now).

Regards,
Ben Rampling