[tech] I wanna lend the UCC some stuff...

Ian McKellar yakk at yakk.net.au
Mon Nov 1 10:33:58 WST 1999

On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 01:57:20AM +0800, David Manchester wrote:
> OK, in a fit of irrational altruism (and a realisation of the need for
> storage space), I've decided to lend the UCC a machine for an extended
> period.
>
> Please let me know what would be more useful to UCC:
>
> An R4400 Indigo2 with 256MB of RAM, or a Celeron 333A with 96MB.
>
> They occupy approximately the same space, and I can give the Celery SCSI
> as/if required.
>
> I figure actually using an IRIX box as a user or sercices machine might
> be a cool idea, to give wheel a bit more of a taste of IRIX, before
> (a) they go out into the wide world and are forced to use it, or
> (b) it gets killed and SGI goes all-Linux.
>
> I'll probably keep the monitor/kbd/mouse here and put them on the PC if
> you guys decide the I2's more useful.
>
> Either of them could have 100Mb ethernet.

The I2 with 100Mb would probably make a fscking brilliant NFS box - and
probably user box at the same time. I personally really like IRIX, and if
we were going to use an IRIX box as a core user box I would probably actually
secure the thing.

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar | Email: yakk(a)yakk.net   | Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Prefix: +61 8 | Fax/VoiceMail: 9265 0821 | Home: 9389 9162 | Work: 9380 3688