[tech] (fwd) extra xp1000's

Simon Fryer fryers at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 10 14:23:08 WST 1999

Bingle

> A while ago Nick Bannon tapped:

[...]
> Mmmm, now that's some _real_ server hardware.

Yup.

> It's still a lot of money, though (probably AUD$3000 after shipping,
> _if_ we don't have to pay extra tax). There was _some_ interest at the
> committee meeting (and some "why do we need another server?" sentiment),

Case for another server: - owr main user boxen are medium level PC
clones. The ones where people can get something similar at home quite
easily. The other non - PC user boxen are SG machines with the most
difficult unix I have ever come across. Having a nice fast non-pc
user box would be nice.

> but it's pretty clear that we'd need serious pledges and some general
> interest. 50% pledges sounds good.
>
> If you want to push it, count me in for $500 and post it to the UCC
> list. If we get $1500 and a few more interested people, Committee can
> decide whether to fund the rest. In any case, it's going to take at
> least a couple of days.

Count me in for $100.

[...]

See Ya
Simon

"Well, an engineer is not concerned with the truth; that is left to
philosophers and theologians: the prime concern of an engineer is
the utility of the final product."
Lectures on the Electrical Properties of Materials, L.Solymar, D.Walsh