[tech] new moray

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 18 17:32:41 WST 1999

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 05:01:55PM +0800, David Manchester wrote:
[moray's services -> mooneye]
> That's actually a monumentally sane idea.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for a schedule to cut over NFS to my I2..?

Yeesh. Only that we be monumentally slow and careful. No matter which
way you cut it, it concerns me to have the only copy of home directories
and mail on a user machine - and your box is too well spec'ed not to be
a user machine.

Do you want to set it up as a user machine and NFS client first?

> i.e. IRIX doesn't grok UFS... so we'll need to move the data off the disks,
> make XFS filesystems upon them, and move the data back.
> Irix will tentatively talk to an Exabyte... which'll be slightly
> faster/more reliable than a DAT. /home will fit on an Exabyte.
> Failing that, can anyone score a DLT for an evening.. or a spare 18GB SCSI
> disk..?

I don't know why Irix would be picky about which SCSI tape drives it
talks to... but yes I can lend us a DLT. (which will be nice, fast and
big enough to do the whole lot in one go)

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal