[tech] new moray

Duncan Sargeant dunc at rcpt.to
Thu Nov 18 17:38:47 WST 1999

Ian McKellar wrote on Thu November 18, at 16:47 +0800:
> Well, once we've got a replacement moray "system" (where system includes
> hardware and software) we can see how it runs and consider transplanting its
> harddrive back into moray's original hardware.

I like this idea.

Nick Bannon wrote on Thu November 18, at 17:01 +0800:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 04:47:57PM +0800, Ian McKellar wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 04:43:41PM +0800, Duncan Sargeant wrote:
> > > I'd disagree, sendmail really is a dog.  My opinion is that we should
> > > replace sendmail/mailman with postfix/*burp* and keep moray going as a
>
> Well, we've never had _performance_ problems with sendmail - and even
> if it's hard to configure it's fully featured, well documented and
> proven. (A proven cause of root-level security holes mind you, but not
> recently. ::-) )

I distinctly recall many mail performance issues over the years.
Don't you remember numerous mailing list problems caused by sendmail,
the rounds of mailbox corruption, the stupid queueing algorithm
requiring someone to run sendmail -q evey 10 minutes for any mail to get
through?

> > > 486.  A pentium will find other uses ... a 486 won't!
> >
> > Well, once we've got a replacement moray "system" (where system includes
> > hardware and software) we can see how it runs and consider transplanting its
> > harddrive back into moray's original hardware.
>
> It ought to be possible... but since the new box also has twice the RAM,
> (up to) twice the CPU and better serial ports, it's probably happier
> where it is.

*breaks down in frustation*

But, but, but, these are the reasons why a pentium will find other
uses and a 486 won't!  Maybe you didn't hear me two emails ago, when I
asserted that "A pentium will find other uses ...  a 486 won't!",
Look, you can see above, preceded with "> > > ", my quoted text:  "A
pentium will find other uses ...  a 486 won't!".  Maybe you've got ADD
and keep forgetting that written in the last sentence was the phrase
"A pentium will find other uses ...  a 486 won't!".

,dunc