[tech] flamebox

Andrew Williams andrew at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 23 12:02:48 WST 1999

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:24:49 +0800, Anil Sharma wrote:

>If your main disagreement is that the flame box is going to be ripped
>apart because no-one cares then I would disagree. Flame is pretty
>popular (I can say this only having logged on about 3 times)... i think
>that moray will be left with mail and outside traffic processing, as it
>should be IMHO.

I wasn't too concerned about long-term downtime - I can complain pretty
loudly once I notice flame is down. What I think will happen is
incidents of the form "I just need a floppy drive for an hour, and
nobody seems to be on flame right now...", or "Tripped over a power
cable, but nothing bad seems to have happened, oh, it's 11pm, I need to
go home...".  Flame will go from averaging hundreds of days of uptime
to going down regularly for a few hours, even a few days, until someone
(probably me) notices. The only way to prevent that is having it on a
machine that everyone needs to have up 24 hours a day, and immediately
notices when it's down.

Andrew