[tech] Console boxes.

Anil Sharma maset at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 29 17:31:50 WST 1999

> Nevertheless I'd like to put support behind this idea, it should be done,
> and would be very useful. And don't give me crap about the SGI's being good
> for this sort of thing. They're not. Besides which, things like GGI and glx

OK, call me a naive bastard... but why aren't the SGI's any good for this?

For sound and stuff then yes I'd agree that PC hardware has a larger
audience.

I think we need to start moving away from server/term setup in UCC...
there are more and more cheap computers out there that can be set up as
console boxes. Use server for passwords/routing/mail/home directories and
that should just be about it.

I think there are far too many boxes in the machine room and most of these
can be scrapped/upgraded/merged.

The UCC has money, we should start putting some decent console boxes out
there for the members to use.

Maset the Grandiose.
Without suffering,
how can one appreciate happiness?
And how would we mark the depths of our sorrow,
without the light of hope?