[tech] Console boxes.

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 30 16:14:31 WST 1999

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 12:05:57PM +0800, Anil Sharma wrote:
> Ive had a think about what I'd like to see in the
> way of consoles around the room:
>
> - x86 stuff:
> 	- all similar hardware, including sound and
> 	 decent graphics card.
> 	- 1 FreeBSD box
> 	- 1 Windows NT box
> 	- Linux 3D box (with G400)

An excellent idea, the time of which has come.

The trouble in the past has been that decent multimedia desktops cost
about as much as decent headless servers, but they get obselete faster
and can only be used by one person at a time. I don't think we can get
away without them anymore, though.

> - non x86.
> 	- Solaris box

I reckon we should pick up at least one CWR machine.

> 	- Dec with more memory.

Definitely. Let's buy some while we still can.

> 	- The SGIs

<nod>

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal