[tech] State of the Clubroom address

Mark Tearle mtearle at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Oct 18 15:21:21 WST 1999

Hi all

As anybody who has been anywhere near the clubroom today or for the past
week will know, UCC is in dire need of tidying up it's clubroom.  This
is partially in part due to recent donations.

There are basically three tasks that need to be performed:  tidy the
machine room, tidy the centre of the room, tidy up the hallway and tidy
up around the workstations.

To these ends, I suggest we have three teams of people working with slightly
different objectives on the day that we decide to do this:

Team Stuff
- along with the two other teams, removes all the chairs and junk from the
  centre of the room
- assists the other teams as required
- builds PCs from the recent donations
- helps [MTL] with the Laserwriter II's
- repairs the damaged couch
- tests monitors

Team Workstation
- arranges the workstations around the room in a sensible fashion.
- arranges the printers around the room in a sensible fashion.
- clean up the benches so they are no longer sentient
- tidy up the terminals outside the room and sanitise cabling to them
- (if time permits) runs cables along ducting around the room for more
  network points
- (if time permits) cable runs to other useful locations around the hall

Team Machine Room
- powers down machine room
- remove unnecessary stuff from the machine room.
- obtains power boards and extension cords as required to sanely power the
  machines inside the room
- sanitises the network topology
- wire the racks up such to minimise cabling running between them
- minimise the number of consoles in the machine room
- powers up the machine room

My initial suggestions for the makeup of these teams ...

TS - Mel, Grahame
TW - Ian, Nick
TMR - myself, Mustang, Fryers

and others depending on who turns up.

The only problem being selecting time to do this with the impending doom
of exams, can I suggest that we discuss this at the committee meeting
tommorow?

Yours
Mark
Mark Tearle - mtearle at tartarus.uwa.edu.au

Captain Bipto: We did win, didn't we?
Blaznee: No, but if we think fast enough we might just live to lie about it.