[tech] Mermaid's uptime

Grahame Bowland gbowland at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 27 22:01:56 WST 1999

> On Oct 27, David Manchester scrawled :

> That said, we could build a cheap dual PII or PIII system.
> We could probably find a cheaper Dual PPro machine.
>
> ... or we could linux the BeBox.

I did attempt this the other week. The one guy that has been working on
the project hasn't made much progress. Apparently he has his own Bebox
'almost booting' but ours just gives a blank screen with the supplied boot
image.

> > So... three machines, three jobs. Sounds perfect. How about ;
> >
> >  * mermaid becomes the server, with that new IDE HDD we were buying
> >  * The P100 becomes the PC wintel/etc box, maybe with the Bigfoot
> >  * Wheel exercises more self-discipline on mussel
>
> I'd advocate that the P100 will do an admirable job of webserving, etc.
> and that Mermaid's CPU is more useful in the games box.
> We can also snatch mermaid's RAM & put that where its needed & stick
> 8s and 16s into the Rhino9 (mermaid's mobo), as it has 6 slots.

I fixed a lot of the problems that apt had on mussel with broken packages.
Nick showed me the basic approach and I fixed quite a few errors which
were present. One thing that is good about mussel is that I can do
coding work (assignments, ucc stuff, messing about) and have incredibly
fast compiles. If we downgrade it to slink or stop updating it with new
packages then it might become less useful as a coding box.

--
Grahame Bowland

Email: gbowland at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
  Web: http://users.wantree.com.au/~bowest/gmb.html