Host key on *beowulf* [was: Re: [tech] Host key on mussel]

Alastair Irvine alastair at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 2 14:21:29 WST 1999

On Thu, 02 September, 1999 at 11:14:38AM +0800, Nick Bannon wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 10:42:02AM +0800, Warrick Mitchell wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 10:35:04AM +0800, Alastair Irvine wrote:
> > > Has somebody changed the ssh host key on mussel?  When I tried to connect
> > > from mermaid, this is what I got:
> > >
> > >   @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> > >   @       WARNING: HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!         @
> > >   @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> >
> > Alaistair, yes it has changed, I think it may have to do with the fact someone did a upgrade on it recently, ie like over the weekend. Just edit your known hosts file and it will be sweet :)

The host key on mussel has not changed.  I screwed up; it was _beowulf_ I
was trying to connect to.  I usually use rsh; due to a thinko, I sshed to
beowulf when I meant mussel.

Using an existing rsh connection to beowulf (with which I had found xemacs
to still not be installed), I catted /etc/ssh_host_key.pub and found that
it is different from the beowulf line in my ~/.ssh/known_hosts .

However, once I did ssh to beowulf successfully, I got this message:

  Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding, perhaps xauth program could not be run on the server side.

[snip mussel details]

> As a general rule - even during upgrades you can avoid breaking the host
> key. I don't know whether this is strictly desirable or not.

Hmm... I guess JP didn't think about that.  No problem.

--
... The wise learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
|  -=*Alastair Irvine*=-   WWW page: http://members.xoom.com/alastair/  |