[tech] Mermaid re-animated

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 2 17:00:19 WST 1999

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 03:11:35PM +0800, David Manchester wrote:
> OK, so I got a faster CPU for it.
> [NTU] suggested we should still attempt to get the fastest CPU we can for
> it. Fair comment.
> These dudes, http://www.altech.com.au/pages/p52_retail.htm have P200MMXes
> for $106 and P233MMXes for $109.
[...]

Hmmm... It's not a _bad_ price, and it's still a desirable thing, but I
get the feeling we're in danger of splitting our efforts a bit too much.
Death by a thousand cuts.

What RAM's in mako? 2x8MB 72pin SIMMs? 1x16? Even a single 32MB SIMM
should go down nicely. Maxing it out to 64 would be reasonable.

Perhaps we should draw up a wishlist of retail items to buy, total it,
prioritise and sanity check it, then buy it in a clump.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal