[ucc] Re: [tech] Mermaid re-animated

David Luyer luyer at ucs.uwa.edu.au
Fri Sep 3 14:22:25 WST 1999

> > > The data for fms can't be run accross nfs, afaik, and the source tends to
> > > be on both the ucc cvs mirror and my own.
> >
> > It could if you were using Linux 2.2 on Mako.
>
> Linux 2.2 can magically optimise a database accessing its data volume over
> NFS? I'm astounded. Let's switch now!

You said it _can't_ be run over NFS.  The only possible technical reason
something can't be run over NFS is if it absolutely requires locking
operations or raw device access.  I'm pretty sure you're not using raw
device access, hence if it _can't_ be run over NFS it would be a locking
issue.  Running Linux 2.2 kernels and knfs everywhere would fix that :-)

David.

PS: don't trim the smiley in the follow up next time...