[tech] flame, moray's kernel and transparent proxying

Ian McKellar yakk at yakk.net.au
Thu Sep 16 15:14:40 WST 1999

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 03:04:46PM +0800, David Luyer wrote:
> > It may be a hack, but its a more elegant hack than hacking MudOS to bind to
> > a particlar ip, and:
> > 	* running MudOS as root
> > 			or
> > 	* hacking the kernel to allow non-root to bind to low ports
>            or
> * using a launcher app (the standard way, see innd and many others)
>
> fd0 = bind(flame_ip:23);
> fd1 = bind(flame_ip:80);
> exec(flame, fd0#, fd1#);

Ahh, cool, but is this less of a hack than using the transparent proxy
code? Also, with the transparent proxy code we can add new services without
rebooting, recompiling flame, or even restarting the driver :)

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar | Email: yakk(a)yakk.net   | Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Prefix: +61 8 | Fax/VoiceMail: 9265 0821 | Home: 9389 9162 | Work: 9380 3688