[tech] Ethernet cards

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Feb 4 15:29:10 WST 2000

We've got three nice new Netgear FA-310TX PCI 10/100 tulip-based
ethernet cards.  They're sitting in the machine room, along with an
invoice (we shouldn't need to do anything about that - the Guild is
sending the cheque).

Cost was $50 tax ex each, from Simline Solutions - simline.com.au. James
Pearce was very good - took the order by email, I faxed the tax ex order,
and it was delivered free the next day. (before the Guild cheque would
have arrived) At the same time, I bought a Netgear for myself and a
Pioneer SCSI DVD-ROM.

I believe the plan is for two to go into uccrouter and one into mermaid.
There's a Linux driver in /services/tmp/fa31v402.tgz - a modified copy
of tulip.c - but let's see if a recent mainstream tulip driver works. (we
could need a new kernel on uccrouter)

Any plans for this weekend on mermaid or scarlet? mermaid needs a
reinstall, preferably onto Wazza's 4.3GB IDE HDD. scarlet might need a
downgrade, but at the end of the day we just want it to be able to talk
100BaseT and server NFS and NIS.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal