[tech] Re: Mermaid & NT

David Manchester mustang at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 31 11:36:47 WST 2000

OK. An NT box is a good idea from a teaching new skills perspective.
Security aside (that's what the 'router' is for), people do have to
wrestle NT in the workplace.
Many sites "trust" NT more than 9x and 2000's still betaware, last I heard
so its definately something worth getting a grounding in.

Incorporating NT and SAMBA into a UNIX network is a really good thing
to get a handle on. Linux and Samba are like gaffa tape and blue-tac in
the real world. If you can drive both, you should be able to save yourself
a lot of heartache when NT starts to get flaky on you.

I think that we should get organised & get the NFS server and NIS sorted
first, then install NT on Malki, look at policies (lock out stuff we don't
want gumbies running), set the motherboard to NOT boot from floppy, and
put a BIOS password on it & then get Samba happening.

Samba and IRIX work quite nicely together.

It may prove prudent to have something else doing Samba and Netatalk & only
have select filesystems exported to that machine, though locking might
be Fun(TM).

Anyway... lets get a game plan happening.
I'll come in Friday, hopefully with a working Erwin (which I have), and we can
reinstall Azure with the 2GB Hawk, etc. Something >1GB for Scarlet would be
most handy... anyone in committee know what the stare of play WRT disk
purchases is..?

Cheers
/dave
--
/  David Manchester <mustang at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>  [TDH]  Netware/UNIX droid. \
Tell someone who's interested, tell someone who can keep their lunch digested