[tech] on freshmeat today ....

Simon Fryer fryers at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 23 16:35:09 WST 2000

Bing

> A while ago Nick Bannon tapped:

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 02:32:48PM +0800, Mark Tearle wrote:
> >   subject: latd 0.0.2
> [...]
>
> Joyful... I think we could definitely use and help add to that.

Eiks. Hmmm, lat on trashy hardware. Oh well,I guess it had to happen
eventually.

> First step, however, is to get a MOPd running somewhere. I'd expect
> there to be one available on morwong, but I can't find any reference
> to it. Dunc - could you perhaps ask Toivo? or are there copies of the
> "Network Administration" and "System Administration" manuals for DU at
> UCS, as referenced by "man lat_intro" ?

I have not managed to find anything useful about mop on my DU box. But it
runs lat perfectly.

I think that moray was running a mopd at one stage. I have no idea if it
was transfered to mooneye. Another side effect of the linux/BSD/IP
world is that the router may not route the decnet protocols happily. This
is going to be a complete bugger for mop booting decservers on different
segments.

Additionally, the mopd is pretty trivial to compile. Even I can do it.

See Ya
Simon

"Well, an engineer is not concerned with the truth; that is left to
philosophers and theologians: the prime concern of an engineer is
the utility of the final product."
Lectures on the Electrical Properties of Materials, L.Solymar, D.Walsh