[tech] Re: [ucc-announce] (Downtime) Sunday

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun May 7 22:09:17 WST 2000

On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 10:52:20PM +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:
> Possible downtime on Sunday. Be warned :-)
>
> This is to put a new and larger hard disk in
> place of the existing home drive.

The story so far.

Nope, /home hasn't moved yet. After some fiddling, we bit the bullet
and just reinstalled Tru64 onto the 9GB drive in morwong, this time
putting everything under LSM control. This means we can now, in theory,
rearrange space on it at will.

/usr/local off the old 4GB drive in morwong was copied, /etc was tarred up
(/old_etc.tgz) and the 4GB has been removed. morwong is mostly back to
normal - _now_ people can start to set it up properly (mail tech about
anything you do).

The next trick is to move mussel off its 9GB drive onto the freed
up 4GB drive. Not everything will fit, of course - anyone who's got
anything on mussel outside of /usr/local should back it up, or delete
it _immediately_. The move should happen early this week, possibly even
tomorrow afternoon.

We'll then stick the second 9GB into morwong, and it can be the new /home.
When it's ready, there'll be some hours' downtime as /home is umounted
everywhere, copied to morwong, exported from morwong, and mounted from
all our NFS client machines.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal