[tech] a query on troubleshooting an Ethernet card

David Graeme Chinnery chinnery at EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Tue May 23 03:26:25 WST 2000

Hey folks,

I figured someone might have a clue about this. I bought a computer
for myself, and have been in the process of setting stuff up. Reading
web pages (http) works fine ... but ftp doesn't ... it was sitting
on a Windows NT network and able to see the other machines.

My best guess is that it is able to receive fine, but is having
problems sending. Is there any chance that it could be a device
conflict? (I've never had that problem, so I don't know what the
symptoms typically are) ... otherwise, it's probably a hardware
problem in the send hardware (wiring probably).

It's failing Ethernet loopback tests, and the cable is fine (checked
it with another computer).

Thanks,
:)
Dave.
PS: I'm working down in Silicon Valley for the summer, then back to
getting on with my Ph.D. after that. It should be a nice break.