[tech] a query on troubleshooting an Ethernet card

Ian McKellar yakk at yakk.net.au
Tue May 23 09:24:33 WST 2000

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 12:26:25PM -0700, David Graeme Chinnery wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I figured someone might have a clue about this. I bought a computer
> for myself, and have been in the process of setting stuff up. Reading
> web pages (http) works fine ... but ftp doesn't ... it was sitting
> on a Windows NT network and able to see the other machines.

I'm not sure about hardware issues, but http working and ftp not working
usually means a firewall issue. With regular FTP the server has to connect
back to the client, so if you're behind some sort of firewall FTP might
not work.

> PS: I'm working down in Silicon Valley for the summer, then back to
> getting on with my Ph.D. after that. It should be a nice break.

Cool :-)

Who are you going to work for?

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar |    Email: yakk(a)yakk.net |    Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Area: +61 (8) | Home: 9389 9152 | Fax/Voice: 9260 2903 | Work: 9384 4700