[tech] Routing from mermaid & mussel

Duncan Sargeant dunc at rcpt.to
Fri May 26 12:50:08 WST 2000

Alastair Irvine wrote on Fri May 26, at 11:51 +0800:
> Ok, so I was a bit hasty in completely denouncing the routing changes.
>
> However, the fact remains that certain WAIX sites are unpingable from
> mermaid and mussel.  For example, several hosts & subnets at Curtin Uni are
> unreachable, as is it.net.au's entire subnet.
>
> It strikes me as being very odd that the unreachability is so patchy, but
> it's never happened before to my knowledge so I suspect it's a side effect
> of the new routes.  Any ideas?

Ahem, yes.  My brain was just getting to that bit - the default route
on waix breaks outgoing connections which aren't routed through waix,
so we need to individually route those.  This doesn't just include
130.95.*, but also cygnus, bits of it.net.au, and the other
universities.

This is why we need a router device in betwen UCC and UWA which can do
this sort of munging.

,dunc