[tech] Mussel

Grahame Bowland gbowland at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 27 23:14:13 WST 2000

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 10:25:43PM +0800, Nick Bannon wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 05:13:33PM +0800, Anil Sharma <Grand Poobah Maset> wrote:
> > I've changed my mind... i'll just force install the packages... lib6g or
>
> Force installing is almost never needed (force overwriting,
> occasionally). You really need to look at what it's asking for.

Sometimes there are strange problems with the debian mirror in question.
Try using IT's mirror; it's generally more reliable than the UWA one at
the moment. And it's on campus.

> > something needs to be upgraded.  I'll handle it tomorow or wednesday.
>
> Well, the first thing you needed (as it suggested) was an
> apt-get -f install - something needed the XFree86 v4 client libraries.
>
> "apt-get install task-kde" should have done the trick, but there seem
> to be important missing files on ftp.uwa.edu.au - maybe it's in the
> middle of an update, but it's odd for this time of day... I got those
> off IT.

Can you tell me which? I can try and fix it.

> Now installed, mostly working. Viewing HTML isn't working - "cannot
> create view for text/html".
>
> After much fighting with the helix packages, I've also put XFree86 v4
> on and dist-upgraded, but I had to go to woody versions of a lot of
> packages. Maybe a newer helix snapshot would be a good idea...

It's probably not worth it. Debian GNOME seems sufficiently recent. It's
actually more bandwidth effective to compile from CVS than to track
helix :-)

Cheers,
Grahame

--
Grahame Bowland ~ "If my blade finds its mark," warned Kenobi, "you
                ~  will be reduced to so many bits. But if you slice