[tech] hydra (uccrouter 2)

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Oct 1 17:15:21 WST 2000

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 06:38:15AM +0800, Leighton Haynes wrote:
[...]
> Wonder if the drivers are
> bright enough to work out when a packets just being routed, and transfer
> directly card->card instead of card->main memory->card ;)

There's some work going on with this at the moment ;
http://lists.insecure.org/linux-kernel/2000/Sep/3584.html

Currently, your choice is between full-on CPU-based firewalling and
routing, or simple card-to-card Fast Forwarding (which apparently
handles 100Mbps of 64byte packets just fine on a suitable machine -
a P90 may not suffice...).

This new stuff is about adding a congestion feedback machanism to
the drivers - they're currently working with tulips including the
funky 4 port DEC21143's.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal