[tech] Upgrading our PCs..]

David Manchester mustang at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 25 00:51:14 WST 2000

> On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 10:05:44PM +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:
> > We have the motherboards we need. So we need two Pentium III CPUs,
> > and 128Mb of RAM times three (to get mussel to 256Mb and 128Mb for the others)
> >
> > From www.iinet.net.au/~roderick/ (RTV computers)
> >
> > Component                                                           Cost
> > Intel Pentium III 650MHz "E" 256k L2 on-die with SSE (100 FSB)       510
> > 8MB Apacer PC-100 7ns SDRAM with Hyundai chips. 5 Years Warranty     275

    ^^^^
[snip]

> > So we'd be looking at around $2425 to do this. I'm sure we can better this,
> > anyone else care to contribute pricings? :)

I'd think so. I wonder how many 8MB DIMMs he sells at $275 a pop? :)

> bestbits.ii.net generally provides a good reference to pick up prices
> on hardware in Perth.

Bestbits seems to be fairly slow in updating things these days.
I don't know if Nick's given it away...
(granted I've not checked it in a while and will probably snooze rather
than load Netscape, but yeah - it pays to shop around)

Cheers
/dave

--
/ David Manchester <mustang @ ucc.asn.au> (UCC Wheel and Committee person) \
|       If Life hands you lemons today, smile and give thanks.             |