[tech] Upgrading our PCs..

David Luyer david_luyer at pacific.net.au
Wed Oct 25 13:15:51 WST 2000

> > > Just don't tell Ian or Luyer.
> >
> > 2 of the ISPs that make up PI (MIRA and WorldReach) were heavily into
> > Solaris-x86.  What a nightmare.  I think it's a good idea, to prevent
> > people from the mistake of using Solaris-x86 in industry.
> > (but then, Solaris-x86 was probably a good choice at the time)
>
> :)
> Was this old Solaris-x86 or recent stuff?

Old.  Very old.  World Reach merged with Zip Internet Professionals many years
ago, and nothing had been touched since then.  Similarly the MIRA systems were
quite dated (they have legacy clients like Sofcom or werple shell users on
them).  SunOS 5.5.1 would be the most recent.

> Were they using disksuite or anything solaris-specific, or was it
> just that they couldn't afford Suns ?

Doing a lot of md stuff and mounting the same partitions in many places with
read-only/no-exec in some places as a chroot jail and read-write in another
place for system administration, various other stuff like that which wouldn't
have been easy on Linux at the same time.

Anyway, the World Reach and MIRA people were Solaris addicts, they used it on
every Intel system they had - pretty much like PI-SG and BSD/OS, there's no
good reason and Linux would beat it in most situations but still they use it.

David.
--
David Luyer                                        Phone:   +61 3 9674 7525
Senior Network Engineer        P A C I F I C       Fax:     +61 3 9699 8693