[tech] RARP

Duncan Sargeant dunc-mail-1313101 at rcpt.to
Thu Oct 26 01:47:30 WST 2000

Grahame Bowland wrote on Wed October 25, at 21:20 +0800:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 08:20:43PM +0800, Duncan Sargeant wrote:
> > Keep trying.  It annoyed enough that I was able to solve your stupid
> > riddle in less time than I'm wasting replying to your email that I
> > undid my work so that you might work it out yourself and learn
> > something.
>
> Come on. If this is the attitude of people to me trying to set up boxes
> that have been sitting around doing nothing then I won't bother. I've got
> better things to do with my time than scramble around helplessly while
> Dunc accumulates geek-points by making me feel stupid.

There are no stupid people, only stupid questions.  Your question was
stupid, so I replied in kind.  Enlightenment does not come to those
know it only by secondhand reports from others, you must learn
for yourself.  If I was after geek-point I would have created the
ethers.db file and told you I'd fixed it by farting in its general
direction.  Sorry that you feel stupid, you're not really.

> Okay, I can't see what's wrong. Yes, I've read the manpages.

Woohoo, more info.  I just read them and as it turns out, the manpages
are wrong.  They suck serious ass.  A real red herring.  Such is life.

> Yes, I've run gdb over the thing.

So much effort and wading through crap, developer-boy.  Thing
sysadmin, think lazy BOFH.  Think something beginning with s, and
ending in trace.

> I know there is a kernel rarp module, but apparently it's obsoleted
> by the userland stuff.  And it's not installed, so it's not a wierd
> conflict.  /etc/ethers looks right, I don't know.

I think I've given you enough hints now :-)

,dunc