[tech] (fwd) fs:(Melb) Penitum 200MMX (Socket 7)

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Oct 30 11:24:52 WST 2000

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Nick Bannon wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 02:10:15AM +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:
> > Looks pretty good. How does this compare to the equivalent processor from
> > CS for $300 with all the trimmings? We could grab one of those and make it
> > mermaid, and then use the current mermaid as a console box?
>
> Probably simpler to swap some bits and not bother reboxing, etc - the
> CPU and perhaps two 8MB for two 16MB SIMMs, making mermaid a 96MB
> P200-MMX and other a 48MB P133/P150. (was mermaid's CPU swapped to get
> rid of the FPU errors?  Last I remember it was running at 150MHz)

IIRC, the CS PCs had PC100 SDRAM, which comes in a DIMM. While you might
be able to use SDRAM in mermaid, depending on the motherboard, it's very
dodgy to use DIMMs and SIMMs at the same time.

--
"There's nobody getting rich  |  TRS-80              UCC Fresher Rep
 writing software that I      |  Email:    trs80(a)ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au