[tech] Re: [ucc] Logging in on the terminals

David Manchester mustang at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 5 11:53:50 WST 2000

> On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 10:30:23AM +0800, Anil Sharma wrote:
> >
> > 2) Because axolotyl is a slack arsed whore of a machine also. The many
> > deaths I have suffered at the hands of that pile of detritus crashing is
> > far too distressing.
>
> I actually thought axolotl had died the final death of finality way back
> in 97 or so. I definitely remember sticking a large 'FITH' sticker on
> its poor little carcass once we had a decserver doing much the same job.

Its a vicious cycle - Manta up and happy, axolotl (yes, there is no Y) dies,
boot DECserver... terminal use dwindles, someone crashes Manta by pulling
out console cable/stealing console terminal, DECserver doesn't boot,
someone resurrects axolotl. Ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

I don't want to use a DECserver 300 outside the clubroom.
They do telnet. I want a DECserver 200 which only does LAT, being used
to force people to connect to Morwong.

I would then like to see the DECserver 300 used as a console server, but
that will never happen ... Comrade's only been suggesting it since 1995.

Cheers
/dave

( My DECserver 200 is working nicely as a console server for the three machines
  in my VMS cluster )
--
/ David Manchester <mustang @ ucc.asn.au> (UCC Wheel and Committee person) \
|       If Life hands you lemons today, smile and give thanks.             |