[tech] Switchesu

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 13 17:00:18 WST 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, David Manchester wrote:

> > On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 03:40:31PM +0800, James Andrewartha wrote:
> > > On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Grahame Bowland wrote:
> > >
> > > Err, I said this last night, but without a 100Mb card on the router, this
> > > is pointless. One of the plan 9 boxen is a pentium and is already mounted
> > > in a rackmount case ... would fryers miss it much if we made it the
> > > router?
> >
> > We have a Pentium-based router with two 100Mb cards half constructed. It's
> > all good. Someone seems to have pinched one of the two cards though - I
> > suspect [TDH] took it for testing compatibility with normal Tulips.
>
> Guilty.
>
> > The reason I sent email about this is that it's a good thing to do as well
> > as upgrading the router. We talked about upgrading the router last night.
>
> What is the system that we have earmarked for the router?

Well the system I think Grahame is talking about is currently just a
motherboard in a rackmount case with CPU and netgear card in it, and is
sitting on the green couch in front of the xterms. However, this is only a
486 dx4 with PCI slots, and not an actual pentium. Hence my suggestion we
use one of the plan 9 boxen which has an actual pentium

> Would it be worth buying a cheap 5 PCI slotmotherboard and a Celeron for
> the task?

Err, no idea really. Would the performance be worth spending ~$500-$600
that it would cost? Or is having a beefy router a good idea (tm)?

On a slightly unrelated note, mermaid hung (the console wasn't even
working) and I rebooted it. I think it might be heat again, but I'm not
sure...

--
"There's nobody getting rich  |  TRS-80              UCC Fresher Rep
 writing software that I      |  Email:    trs80(a)ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au