[tech] Switchesu

David Basden davidb-ucc at rcpt.to
Wed Sep 13 18:53:24 WST 2000

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 05:06:22PM +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:
> I can't see a downside - sure wheel would loose it's hidey-hole, but the
> machines would be just as secure. In it's present state there are important
> cables trailing across the machine room just asking to be tripped over. Perhaps
> with racks and no machine room things would be tidier - just lined up against
> the back wall.

I suspect that heating issues would become a bitch.

It's hard enough sometimes to get decent ventilation and cooling for
closed racked gear in a well airconditioned machine room. Even then
you have things like aircon coming through suspended floors or
kick arse fans on top of racks.

I suspect that much of our gear would be pretty darn unhappy locked
in an unventilated rack, with no exaust fans, no airconditioning, and
a clubroom that gets to over 40' in summer.

.. D