Routers, switches, machine room and lockable racks (was Re: [tech] Switchesu)

Jean-Paul Blaquiere japester at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 13 21:05:45 WST 2000

> On Sep 14, Ian McKellar scratched in indelible ink :

> I am 100% happy as soon as someone gets fire insurance. We do NOT want to be
> hacking on power supplies - we almost had a fire the other day.

We would be hacking the case, not the power supply.  I have similar aversions
to creating fire hazards.
>From what I saw after a brief look this everning, was :
1) creating a hole in the back of the case for I/O sockets
2) making sure that the power supply does not intefere with the CPU.

if '2' fails, then there's no point as there is not enough lead on the power
supply cable to move the boxy bit of the PS around much.

> That motherboard I posted had onboard video... Onboard is usually sucky, but
> all we want is one that:
> (a) lets our OS boot and have a text console, and
> (b) doesn't take any slots that could be used for ethernet cards :)

this is good.  more space for ethers is always a good thing.

/Jp...
--
Jean-Paul Blaquiere             ||   Avatar of Computational
   japester at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au   ||   Thaumaturgy