[tech] hydra (uccrouter 2)

Ian McKellar yakk at yakk.net.au
Thu Sep 21 10:30:00 WST 2000

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 08:44:39PM +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:

> Looks pretty cool. Can we make hydra do masquerading and have a
> hub using 10.0... out in the clubroom? Then people can come in and
> plug their machine in, with DHCP, etc. I don't know if hydra is the
> right box to do that - just raising the suggestion.

That is an important part of the plan. I was thinking of making that
phase two, but another interface in hydra (10m would do) would be what I
would do.

> We should allocate some space in the clubroom for this, too. I often get
> people asking me to be around so they can install something off the mirror
> or ftp.uwa - it'd be nice if they could do this easily.

Yes - easily, without fucking anything else up. It would also let us set up
machines without unplugging others.

> The diagram seems to imply buying another switch. This is probably a good
> idea to get 100Mb to the hosts in the clubroom that support it (when grabbing
> ISOs off the mirror, for example). However, should we do what Dunc suggested
> and borrow a switch and try it first?

I'm not convinced we need another switch. I'm not convinced it would make
things better. We're unlikely to succeed in pushing much more than 10Mbit
through a PC. Think 33Mhz PCI bus. I believe we have a 100M hub - that
should do for the "insecure" segment (IMO).

Ian