[tech] fans in one of the racks

Simon Fryer fryers at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 2 17:25:20 WST 2001

Bingle

> A while ago Jean-Paul Blaquiere tapped:

> the fans in the rack nearest the door (in the machine room) are making funny
> noises.  One is having difficulty turning.   these are teh ones in the black
> box at the top of the rack labelled 'power distribution unit'.
> i'll have a closer look and find out whether suitable replacements exist.

Yes, I know... It is a non trivial replacement as I have some idea what is
connected to the other side of the black box.... Please do not turn off unless
there are friendly wheel members about to shut machines down first.

It is on my to do list. As it does not seem to be causeing that much of a
problem it is on one of my less urgest to do lists.

See Ya
Simon

"Well, an engineer is not concerned with the truth; that is left to
philosophers and theologians: the prime concern of an engineer is
the utility of the final product."
Lectures on the Electrical Properties of Materials, L.Solymar, D.Walsh