[tech] flying (Wavelan router)

Leighton Haynes dayta at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 28 09:54:56 WST 2001

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 09:25:54AM +0800, Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:
> > On Jun 28, Leighton Haynes illuminated with a virtual pen  :
>
> > Imagine, if you will, a situation where everyone wants to build a little
> > hill of sand. You work night and day, and finally get an adequate hill of
> > sand. Happy with your efforts, you rest for the night. In the morning, you
> > come back to find that someone decided to knock down your hill of sand,
> > and start from scratch. Unfortunately, the new hill of sand isn't as large
> > as the old one.
> >
> and then some bugger comes along and fills the sand with beer, or is that
> another paradigm I'm thinking of....

My, what a pathetic attempt at acting flip.

> > I'm not saying nobody touch the machines again. I'm saying that you
> > shouldn't do things without a reason, that you should make every
> > attempt to _not_ remove functionality from the UCC network, that you
> > should make people aware of what you're going to do, preferably before
> > doing it. Maybe you're just too detached from reality to realise this
> >
> For one, flying is a *test* machine that is still being finalised.  In
> other words, don't expect it to be up all the time.

This is no excuse for breaking it.

> Nick has also been
> very pro-active (wonderful catch word) about getting the whole wavelan
> network in place and working.
Oh yes, I remember some of those remarkably circular discussions.

Have I seen you around doing any
> constructive work towards it Leighton?  First stone remember ...
JP, When was the last time _I_ broke something?
I have no problems living up to my own standards.
As for what I've done on wavelan? Yes, you're right, I did nothing.
I argued against buying an 11mbit card when the club didn't
have (IMHO) enough money. (Oh yes, I was on committee.. where were you, JP?)
I argued for getting minimal stuff to get it working. I saw it moulder
in the corner of the machine room. I saw it get set up in a machine.
I saw someone 'upgrade' machine it was in and break support. I saw
it moulder in the corner a bit more. I saw Bryden come in, and
set it up for us. I rejoiced. This was good. We had wavelan. ...

We no longer have wavelan.

> I agree with not playing with services that other people rely on for
> playing's sake, but remember UCC does not guarantee a service of any kind,
> we are here to experiment and learn about {hard,soft,firm}ware  and we of
> course, never intend to leave equipment in a broken state.  *grin*

It should be pointed out, that my comments should be taken in a general
sense as well as being directed at flying. As such, there are numerous
cases of people breaking other peoples work, repeatedly. This results
in the original people giving up on doing stuff at UCC. Why should they,
when some other fuckwit comes along and breaks it a short time
later.

The 'oh, it doesn't matter, this is UCC' attitude is fucked up. It results
in people getting disillusioned with doing anything, at which point, things
stagnate.
Now, i'm not saying people shouldn' t do things. I'm saying they should
get a fucking clue, and think about the hard work previous people have
put in, and whether it's right for them to summarily destroy it.

I personally think the self-centred attitude, where the only work that matters
is my own, is pretty poor.

Leighton...

#0421 113 305 - dayta at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
How do you expect?/I will know what to do./When all I know.
Is what you tell me to. - Linkin Park/By Myself