[tech] Re: [wheel] Dispense Broken

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 12 20:17:28 WST 2001

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 01:57:08PM +0800, Andrew Bailey wrote:
> To those that care,
>
> I have this feeling that dispense is failing to charge me for telnet
> trafic.
[...]
> >[UCC Incoming Connection Server -- INFO: Error adjusting coke balance.]
[...]

Ahhh... that reminds me - forgot about this at the time.

Subject: Re: [wheel] Who broke UCC again?

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 04:07:03PM +0800, David Basden wrote:
> Okay, someone had the telnet port on mooneye doing a netcat to
> port 222 on mermaid. Port 222 wasn't bound to anything on mermaid.

No idea why it broke, nobody mentioned doing anything at the time. Port
222 ("telnat") should be taken by "dispense telnet", running out of
inetd.  Port 23 is standard mermaid telnet (this is the opposite to
mooneye, which listened for charged telnet on the standard telnet port
23).

> I've setup the Coke telnet server up on mooneye again, so people can
> once again telnet externally and get charged for it. Could whoever
> broke this in the first place please stand up and explain why it was
> changed, and why it was left broken and untested?

Forwarding the mooneye:23 connection to mermaid:222 is needed because
dispense telnet only seems to work on the cokehost (now mermaid). That
bit was indeed working and tested. 'Tis now restored.

We reeeeeeeeeally need a charged SSH or telnet/SSL or something...

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal