[tech] Wavelan

comrade at obverse.com.au comrade at obverse.com.au
Wed Mar 21 19:58:22 WST 2001

Hello guys

>          o ISA-to-PCMCIA and PCI-to-PCMCIA bridges are not supported. The
> bridge driver interface in 2.4 is significantly different, and the tcic and
> i82365 drivers have not been ported to the new interface. o Some of the
> less widely used client drivers, like the memory card drivers, have not
> been ported into the 2.4 driver tree yet.
>          o The yenta_socket driver does not have the /proc interface of the
> i82365 driver, so the dump_exca and dump_cardbus tools do not work. It
> actually has no debugging support at all.
>
> Ditch 2.4 for a good and stable 2.2 kernel (it is a router, we shouldn't
> use 2.4 until it is rock solid). Recompile pcmcia-cs and it should
> work.  I'm going to be far too busy to do this before middle of next week,
> so someone with some time please do the above?

As an alternative; try NetBSD 1.5. I've been using an ISA-to-PCMCIA as well
as PCI-to-PCMCIA bridges successfully for almost a year now. The networking
is rock-solid too, if that's important to you. Wavelan support is, if anything
better under NetBSD than Linux due to the absence of the binary drivers
that Lucent provide for Linux/i386.

My 2c worth.

Peter