[tech] Wavelan

Balmik Soin vyxn at vyxn.net
Thu Mar 22 23:35:06 WST 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Duncan Sargeant wrote:
> comrade at obverse.com.au wrote on Wed March 21, at 22:58 +1100:
> > As an alternative; try NetBSD 1.5.  I've been using an ISA-to-PCMCIA
> > as well as PCI-to-PCMCIA bridges successfully for almost a year now.
> > The networking is rock-solid too, if that's important to you.
> > Wavelan support is, if anything better under NetBSD than Linux due
> > to the absence of the binary drivers that Lucent provide for
> > Linux/i386.
>
> Lucent's drivers are provided under the GPL.  But that's not to say
> that Linux has escaped suffering - Lucent have not yet updated their
> drivers for the 2.4 series kernel, and the alternative GPL driver out
> there which does have a 2.4 version, does not yet support Lucent's 6.x
> firmware :-) YMMV!

there is an alternative driver out there which does 6.x fine (i'm running
it) and claims to run 2.4 without any problems - all you have to do is
disable card services in the kernel and run the normal pcmcia package...

*evil grin*

The alternative driver im using is also a lot better than the "official"
lucent driver IMHO - i've tried both on various combinations of hardware
and always found the alternative one to be superior.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Wavelan-IEEE.html

Balmik.