[tech] A question of File System

Ian McKellar ian at mckellar.org
Wed Apr 24 06:48:10 WST 2002

On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 13:29, David Cake wrote:
> >  >
> >>  And if you want pretty pink flowers, well, I'm sure Apple will have
> >>  a filesystem with them soon... in five fruity flavours.
> >
> >Dom (ex-Be guy who wrote BFS) is working on a new FS at apple. That
> >should kick ass. BFS had all sorts of really nice things like
> >journalling and indexed file attributes. If Apple let him implement that
> >kind of thing it'll be great. The lack of attributes and the lack of
> >automatic metadata indexing on unix filesystems sucks. If OS X got that
> >it just might make me give up OS 9.
>
> 	Its about time. A good filesystem has been an obvious lack of
> Mac OS X for some time, and there was much rejoicing in some circles
> when Dom was hired.

A friend of mine (a long-time NeXTStep user) tried running OS X with
UFS. It became clear very quickly that Apple just don't test that :-/

> At 2:20 PM +0800 23/4/02, Nick Bannon wrote:
> >That's definitely got some promise. It's kinda irritating at the moment
> >because it doesn't have the simple ext2 attributes (immutable bit,
> >etc), but there is or has been a patch to provide that. What it ought
> >to get at some stage is more generic extended attributes, eg somewhere
> >to store ACL's for Samba.
>
> 	Not to mention handling those wacky Apple file attributes
> (Type, Creator, etc) properly.
> 	One of the particularly tragic things about Mac OS X is that
> old school NeXT people are always getting all worked up about HFS+s
> use of file attributes etc, and advocate using Apples fairly shocking
> UFS implementation instead, seemingly completely unaware of the sort
> of file features that have made it into modern unices.

Yeah, some of my friends at Apple are frustrated by a lot of that. Some
of the NeXT people don't want to have inode monitoring (like linux's
dnotify/imon/fam, freebsd's kqueue, irix's imon/fam, BeOS had it, WinNT
has it...). I think my housemate (who works on the OS X display server)
is just gonna hack it into Darwin :)

A couple of my friend who work on the Finder were at Be, one (Pavel) was
the guy who did most of the work on the Tracker (their file manager)
which exploited extended attributes extensively. Once they get that the
Finder might kick ass. Unfortunately Apple seems to move very slowly
with technology (based on hearing things from people who work there and
having to wait years to see it ship).

Ian